BelleBeirut gives you its all-star, easy-to-follow Crab Cake recipe from none other than Jad Rouhana.
•Extra-virgin olive oil
•1 onion, finely minced
•2 garlic cloves, finely minced
•250 grams of crab sticks
•1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs (made from 4 or 5 slices white bread with the crusts removed and processed in food processor)
•2 tablespoons mayonnaise
•1/2 lime, juiced
•1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro leaves
•Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
•Lemon wedges, for garnish
Make the crab cakes first so they have time to firm up in the refrigerator before you cook them.
1. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for around 5 minutes, until the onion gets kind of caramelized.
2. In a bowl, fold in the crabmeat, bread crumbs, mayonnaise, egg, lime juice, cilantro, and the fried garlic and onions
3. Season with salt and pepper and mixing just until well blended.
4. Shape the mixture into 6 fat crab cakes. Put them on a plate, cover, and stick them in the refrigerator to chill.
5. To cook, heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the crab cakes and cook for about 4 minutes each side until nice and crisp.
6. Serve on a bed of lettuce with slices of fresh lemon and honey mustard sauce.
Honey Mustard Sauce:
•1/4 cup Dijon mustard
•1/4 cup honey
•1 tablespoons mayonnaise
•1 tablespoons lemon juice
•Salt and black pepper
Mix all the ingredients in a small bowl and season with salt and pepper.
Jad M. Rouhana