Ladurée Macarons are exquisitely tasty especially when they are Lemon flavored.
2 1/2 hours
How to make Lemon Cream (Crème de Citron)?
•160g granulated sugar
•Zest of 1 lemon
•2 tsp corn flour
•110ml lemon juice
•235g butter (room temperature)
1. Mix the sugar, lemon zest, corn flour, eggs and lemon juice together in a saucepan and heat until it simmers.
2. Allow to cool for 10 minutes. Add the butter and blend. Refrigerate for 12 hours in an airtight container.
How to make the Macaron Shells?
•275g ground almond powder
•250g icing sugar
•6 egg whites (180g) and a separated 1/2 egg white (15g)
•210g granulated sugar
•Yellow food coloring
1. Mix the almond powder and icing sugar in a food processor then sift.
2. Whisk the 6 egg whites on medium speed until they foam then add a third of the granulated sugar and whisk on high speed until dissolved. Add another third, whisk then add the remaining sugar and whisk for 1 to 2 more minutes.
3. Add the food coloring while whisking until the color is fully incorporated
4. Fold the sifted almond powder and icing sugar into the egg whites.
5. Using a soft spatula, deflate the mix, then add the 1/2 egg white mixture and mix using the soft spatula until the egg white is fully mixed.
6. Fill the mix in a piping bag while using a tip No. 5
7. Line a baking tray with a parchment paper, pipe small rounds (3-4cm) of the mixture.
8. Hit the tray from below to allow the mixture to release the rest of the air bubbles and the mix to flatten
9. Preheat the oven to 150°C, and bake for 14 minutes.
10. Remove baking tray from the oven and pour a tiny amount of water in between the tray and the parchment paper, so the macaroons peel off easily.
11. When cool, place half the macaroon shells upside down on a plate.
12. Pipe a coin of lemon cream onto the macaroon shells using a piping bag and top each with the remaining shells before refrigerating for 24 hours.
Jad M. Rouhana