Few things taste of Paris quite like Ladurée Macarons. These raspberry ones are particularly tasty.
2 1/2 hours
How to make Raspberry Jam (Crème de Citron)?
•225g granulated sugar
•2 teaspoons powdered pectin
•375g french raspberries
1. In a large bowl combine the sugar and pectin.
2. In a food processer, puree the fresh raspberries and then pour into a medium sauce pan, and place over low heat.
3. Bring the berries to just barely warm then add the sugar and pectin mixture and the juice from the half lemon.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook for two minutes.
5. Pour the jam into a bowl and cover, allow to cool, and then refrigerate until chilled.
How to make the Macaron Shells?
• 275g ground almond powder
• 250g icing sugar
• 6 egg whites (180g) and a separated 1/2 egg white (15g)
• 210g granulated sugar
• Red food coloring
1. Mix the almond powder and icing sugar in a food processor then sift.
2. Whisk the 6 egg whites on medium speed until they foam then add a third of the granulated sugar and whisk on high speed until dissolved. Add another third, whisk then add the remaining sugar and whisk for 1 to 2 more minutes.
3. Add the food coloring while whisking until the color is fully incorporated
4. Fold the sifted almond powder and icing sugar into the egg whites.
5. Using a soft spatula, deflate the mix, then add the 1/2 egg white mixture and mix using the soft spatula until the egg white is fully mixed.
6. Fill the mix in a piping bag while using a tip No. 5
7. Line a baking tray with a parchment paper, pipe small rounds (3-4cm) of the mixture.
8. Hit the tray from below to allow the mixture to release the rest of the air bubbles and the mix to flatten
9. Preheat the oven to 150°C, and bake for 14 minutes.
10. Remove baking tray from the oven and pour a tiny amount of water in between the tray and the parchment paper, so the macaroons peel off easily.
11. When cool, place half the macaroon shells upside down on a plate.
12. Pipe a coin of raspberry jam onto the macaroon shells using a piping bag and top each with the remaining shells before refrigerating for 24 hours.
Jad M. Rouhana